Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rev. Rebecca's Sermon Extras

by Rebecca Edwards

In my first few sermons at Good Sam, I have referred to a number of articles, Hebrew/Greek words, and other bits of information that you might want to check out for yourself.
references from sermon on July 24:
If you've ever dreamed of being a billionaire, you might think again after reading this article…
references from sermon on August 14:
cool Greek phrase: μη γενοιτο/"me genito" (pronounced "may GEN-ih-taw")
NRSV translation = "By no means!"
better translation = "#(*!@*&$ no!" (pardon Paul's French)

Paul uses this phrase 13 times in his letters to the Romans, Corinthians, and Galatians. His signature use of this rhetorical device is one of the ways scholars have been able to figure out which epistles were genuinely written by Paul. Check out other examples in Romans 6:15, 1 Corinthians 6:15, and Galatians 2:17. In the process, you can become acquainted with one of my very favorite web sites for exploring biblical texts and translations.
references from sermon on August 21:
There are only a few episodes, but each one is less than 10 minutes long. You can also access them through the iTunes music store under Podcasts. I also recommend all of the "Splendid Table" podcasts – you may have heard their show on public radio on the weekends.

cool Hebrew words (look to the far right for the word!):
טןב
"tov"/good or beautiful
-used in Genesis 1 to describe what God sees in looking at the new creation
-used in Exodus 2:2 when Moses' mother looks at her new baby and sees that he is "goodly," "beautiful," "fine," "special" 
תבת
te-bhat"/ark or basket
-used numerous times Genesis 6 and beyond to describe the vessel God commands Noah to build
-used in Exodus 2:3 to describe the vessel Moses' mother uses to place him in the Nile

4 comments:

  1. Re: "me genito". The older translation--"God forbid!" at least had some energy and dismay. But as I got older, I realized Paul was saying, "7734 no!"
    And I'd *love* to know the original of "I regard [this] as so much garbage." (And I don't remember the Epistle from which that comes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out your Bible resources website. While it does have many useful tools, it seems to have a rather protestant orientation. I prefer a more ecumenical approach. I just purchased the New Interpreter's Bible Commentary (electronic edition) which has scholars from all different perspectives and relies on the NRSV. That plus the NAB are the best translations, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @David - I also rely on New Interpreter's constantly. Though I never like to rely on one commentary exclusively, that is one I turn to first. It's unfortunate that the NRSV is typically not accessible on sites like this that compare translations (though you can get to it via Oremus Bible Browser). While the NRSV is my favorite translation, I think it's always important to compare several translations of a passage to know what words have inspired different interpretations. I use biblos primarily for translation purposes, to access various Greek and Hebrew versions, lexicons, and interlinear resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Verdery - You picked a fun one! The verse you're remembering is Philippians 3.8 ("More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.") The word for ζημιαν/zemian/"loss" or "damage" seems to refer to loss or damage in business exchanges, a rather specific type of waste, or leftovers that can't be sold. (http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/2209.htm) And then there's σκυβαλον/skubalon/"rubbish" or "garbage" or "dregs" (http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/4657.htm) This word is formed from the words for "dog" and "throw", so it implies food that is given to dogs under the table. Interesting in light of the Matthew passage I preached on about throwing bread to the dogs, eh? This is the one and only time this hybrid Greek term is used in the New Testament, but there could be a possibility that the writer of Matthew's gospel had Paul's words in mind in writing the story of the Canaanite woman - Paul used the two terms that are combined to make this word.

    ReplyDelete