Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Guest Post: Better One Day


by Nicki Salcedo

Nicki is a writer friend of Leanne Shawler's from Georgia (editing to put in correct state, sorry Nicki!). Leanne caught one of her blog posts recently and invited her to come share her story with us.
***
Sometimes the words of encouragement that we give others are the words we most need to hear.
I go to church every week day. It is not that I'm overly pious, but my children's daycare happens to be attached to my place of worship. It is a blessing and a curse.
You can imagine the blessings. They are numerous. Loving teachers, caring environment, and happy children.
But the curse is a strange thing. When I haven't gone to church on Sunday, I still have to show up on Monday to drop off my kids. On Monday I am ashamed.
One particular Monday, I was loading three kids into the mini-van when my pastor approached. Before he could speak, I began to apologize by saying, "I know, I know." I wanted to add that I would be at church next Sunday, but instead my pastor put an arm around my shoulder and said, "One day it will be better." With that and a half hug he moved on.
I drove home that day feeling defeated. He was trying to be encouraging, but all I could think was "Which day? Which day will it be better? Work, kids, family, life, laundry, dishes, everything is killing me. When will it be better? August 27? December 1? Which day exactly would things get better?" 
With each question I asked, I kept hearing, "It will be better one day" because it sounded different that Monday. More like a promise. So I decided I would be patient. I would wait for better.
A few weeks later, my pastor stepped down from his position. I was profoundly sad at the news, and my mind returned to our last brief conversation. "One day it will get better." Those words were given to me after a busy day at work. My kids were tired and restless in the hot car. Those words were said to me like a promise, and I suddenly wanted to give those words back to my pastor.
My favorite Bible verse is Joshua 1:9. It was my favorite when I was a child, and it's still my favorite today. Probably because I am most prone to feeling discouraged that I cling to it. But recently I think about it differently. I have decided two things: 
One, I am finished waiting for better. Better is now even with the meowing cat, crying kids, dirty dishes in the sink, and so much to do.
Two, the words of encouragement that we say to others one day might be the words we most need to hear on another. They might be reflected back on us, even subconsciously, so that we can make tough decisions and allow "better" to happen.
While it is easy to give encouragement sometimes it is difficult to hear the words back when we need them. People of faith aren't "believers," but "knowers" and we shouldn’t be "waiters," but "doers."
Are you waiting for a better day? Maybe it is today.
Nicki Salcedo is a writer, who tries to balance a professional career and family life. She is working on her fourth novel and is a two  time recipient of the Maggie Award of Excellence. In her spare time, she has a husband, four kids, and a cat! She can be found online at http://www.8headedhydra.com or her parenting column on the Decatur-Avondale Estates Patch

No comments:

Post a Comment