Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Friend Linda Went to Heaven

by Barbara Theiss, Parish Nurse


I have gotten to know and love Linda K. this past year and three quarters.  I remember going to visit her in the hospital right after her diagnosis of lung cancer was made.  We didn’t know each other then.  The Hospital Intensivist told her she had 3 months left to live.   Linda didn’t believe him and was set to prove him wrong.  She lived 1 ½ years longer than he predicted and she did it her way!!!  
Linda was an independent, sensitive, strong willed woman who loved life.  She told me she had enjoyed her life and wouldn’t have changed a thing.  She made good and long lasting friends.  Linda loved birds.  The first time I went to her home she had 49 and had previously cared for more.  Her apartment was small and sometimes the noise of the birds made talking difficult.  If I remember correctly, she had finches, love birds, canaries and a beautiful cockatiel named Merlin who she loved the most.  She taught me so much about birds and I was even able to see the love birds lay eggs, see them hatch and grow into lovely adult birds.  
Other little unknown facts about Linda I gleaned from our conversations and reminiscing are:

  • Linda loved sports cars and actually owned a few.
  • Linda was an avid jitterbugger.  She used to have all different colored panties to match her skirts because she loved to get flipped and twirled while dancing.  
  • Linda loved to get really tan in the summers and said she looked pretty hot!  She stopped tanning when she was in her 50’s because she didn’t want wrinkles. 
  • One of her favorite things to do while she watched TV was crayoning.  Linda had elaborate coloring books designed for adults and a big box of Crayola crayons with every crayon in line.  
Gosh, I can’t remember all the things we talked about, but I know Linda loved the Lord and all of the people at Good Sam.  She really missed seeing all of you when she wasn’t able to go to church anymore and would ask me how people were doing.  It was important to Linda that she get Communion weekly and enjoyed going to the Healing Service when she was able to attend.  She was an individual with set boundaries that couldn’t be crossed.  Linda was a private person and never wanted to be treated like an invalid or someone who was sick.  It was difficult for her to ask for or accept help.  
I’m going to miss Linda.  She was a neat lady and I’ve been so blessed to have had the opportunity to get to know her.  I know she’s partying now with all of her friends and family who have preceded her and she’s not suffering anymore!  

1 comment:

  1. What a loving story. Thank you for sharing, Barb. I will miss Linda also. We used to compare notes about losing our hair, and how we were not going to give up.

    I am happy that she is not suffering anymore and that she is at peace with the Lord.

    Hugs, Joanie

    ReplyDelete