Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Thank You from Gillian


Beloved people of Good Samaritan Church, 
Thank you so much for allowing me to begin my ordained ministry among you this past year.  
Gillian presiding early Easter morn
I write this in between packing boxes for my move to Norfolk, Virginia.  Among the most treasured things I am carrying with me to my new ministry as Episcopal chaplain to Old Dominion University are the many tangible and intangible gifts you gave me, more things than I can describe. 
Most obvious was giving me a place at the Good Sam altar and pulpit, allowing me to exercise the liturgical heart of ordained ministry in a fuller way than was possible in my campus ministry position.  And because you are such a flexible, grace-full congregation, I felt comfortable learning on the job, even knowing I'd be making mistakes as well as growing in skill and confidence.  I am particularly thankful I was able to preach regularly.  Chris assured me you were a safe congregation to take risks with, and I grew a lot as a preacher as a result.   I also appreciate being able to teach some adult classes--teaching has always been one of my greatest loves.  
The entire Good Sam staff also treated me as an equal colleague, even though I was very part-time and non-stipendiary.  And the altar guild and acolytes and wardens and other parish leaders guided and supported me.
Thank you for your support of the campus ministry at UCSD.  Your gifts of home-cooked meals, financial support and flexibility with Chris and Braden's time made a real difference in the ministry I was doing on campus.  
At Gillian's ordination (Gillian is far right at the altar)
The way in which you celebrated my ordination to the priesthood with me was amazing, and the most incredible part of that weekend.  Your generosity with material and monetary gifts and also your joy and presence left me humbled, awed, and grateful beyond words.  When I think of my priestly ordination, the Sunday morning celebrations at Good Sam stand out just as much as the actual laying-on-of-hands on Saturday.
You also welcomed me into your homes at holidays and to your tables at various meals and events.  Thank you for making me a true part of the Good Sam family, even though I was only with you a few hours a week.
The considerable synergy that developed between my role as campus missioner, with logistical support from Chris and Good Sam, and my role as clergy assistant at Good Sam, with Chris as mentor into ordained ministry, was something neither Chris nor I anticipated when we first discussed my serving as a deacon at your altar for 2 hours on Sunday mornings last September.  In hindsight it has the fingerprints of the Holy Spirit all over it.   And it is also a large part of what led to my call to be the full-time chaplain at Old Dominion University.  
You are blessed with a rector who has a true gift for mentoring others in ministry. Chris was generous in sharing roles that some clergy guard jealously, and was very intentional in finding ways for me to have the broadest range of ministerial experiences possible.  He became a valued advocate, friend, and pastor as I navigated the challenging world of the clergy job search process.  I go forth now a much more confident priest than I would have without his guidance. By supporting Chris in his ministry as a mentor, Good Sam also blesses the larger Church.

You have loved me, and allowed me to love you.  For all these things, and others that I cannot put into words, you have my deepest gratitude. 
Blessings,
Gillian+

1 comment:

  1. Hoping you enjoy the picture of Chris blessing you and sending a thank you for all you brought to Good Sam in the last year. May God bless you with all good things.

    Peace,
    Joanie Sedgmore

    ReplyDelete