Thursday, July 7, 2011

Daring to Step Out of the Comfort Zone

by Leanne Shawler

Have you ever agreed to do something and then wondered what the heck were you thinking? I have, more than once! 

In particular, I was thinking in late May as I stood behind a microphone, preparing to sing the opening hymn for our praise Sunday worship (which is the 3rd Sunday of the month).

I normally sing in the choir - safety in numbers - and the only previous occasions I've sung into a mike have been as a parody or karaoke. But Gary needed someone to duet with, and despite my various suggestions, I ended up with it, I think because I had a key and security code so we could get in the church to practice and also happened to be a fairly competent singer.

My primary way to worship God is through music and singing. It can be transformational for me, a time when I can really feel the Holy Spirit.

However this is where my perfectionist-self gets in the way. I'm not an excellent singer, or perfect, or, let's be honest, always on pitch.

And I want excellence for my church: that my singing matches the excellent sermons (disclaimer note: I work part-time for Good Sam but I am not being paid to say that about my boss!), incredible prayer, beautiful liturgy.

How on earth can I measure up to that? I told myself, and I prayed aloud in the praise band's pre-service prayer, that being in the band is all about God and not about me.

Even so, I didn't relax until we reached communion. It was so hard to remember that I was singing for God.

And I know I can only do my best, give it everything I've got and ask for a miracle besides. But "fine" and "pretty" and "you did good" for me translates to "not good enough".

But God believes I am good enough. Better than good enough. I know this in my head but it's often hard to translate this to my heart.

God knows I am good enough.

God knows you are good enough. For we are all loved and forgiven.

So I stayed on the fence about staying in the praise band (and singing right into that mike, my voice no longer hidden in the crowd). Do I step out of my "gotta be perfect" comfort zone and continue sharing my imperfect gift from God, or do I hide my light among the masses?


In June, I stepped out of my comfort zone.

What did you do when you found yourself agreeing to something out of your comfort zone? Or did you decline the offer? 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Leanne! I admire your courage. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete