Thursday, July 14, 2011

Benediction

by Rev. Chris Chase

One of my favorite hymns ever is St. Patrick’s breastplate. Now, I know it is long and sometimes when you are in the middle of singing or listening to others sing the hymn it can seem as though Jesus himself will be back before the hymn ends. 

That said, I am drawn to St. Patrick’s hymn because I love the theology contained within, the power of the invitation sung aloud, the celebration of Incarnation that reminds us that God is ever present. Also, the action contained in the hymn is not passive or removed. “I bind unto myself today the strong name of the Trinity.” I tie on, I bond myself, I super glue myself to the Trinity in all that I do today as the Trinity glues Itself to me. 
Out of this Irish prayer, full of celtic vision, imagery and wisdom emerges the benediction that we share with one another at the end of the service. 

This benediction was gifted to me by my friend and colleague and brother Ward Misenheimer who would pronounce this benediction over the students at Tyson House, in Knoxville. It reminded all of us that we never, ever, walk alone but that the God who created all life and breath and every being is the God who surrounds us and journeys with us.
Remember, That wherever we go we never walk alone:
Because, we KNOW that our Lord Jesus Christ is walking in front of us to lead us,
We know that our Lord Jesus Christ is walking behind us to encourage us,
We know that our Lord Jesus Christ is above us to guide us,
Beneath us to support us
We know that our Lord Jesus Christ is beside of us to hold, support and befriend us.
And it is our Lord Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord Jesus Christ who lives within our hearts
  to give us his peace, joy, mercy and love
This day and forever more.
I find this benediction, this celtic wisdom, this prayer of a saint to sustain me in any number of situations during the week as I struggle to journey into the life of a disciple and/or try to see God in any given situation. 
I wonder if it is something anyone else carries with them into their week and into their lives.

1 comment:

  1. This hymn has long been one of my favorites as well. There is something solid about it, both in words and in music--"Of whom all nature hath creation; Eternal Father, Spirit, Word." It's a hymn one can stand on in a storm.

    ReplyDelete