Thursday, February 2, 2012

Trying to Find a Welcoming Church Home

by Ann Carlton

When I moved here from Dallas and found Good Samaritan on Google, I did not feel at home immediately. 

I was accustomed to an altar rail and kneelers, having come from a "high church" parish where things are more formal.  

It was also strange not to have a coffee hour, the Women's Group was disbanding, and I didn't feel the sense of warmth that I expected. I even went to a Newcomers' Breakfast but didn't feel embraced.  

After attending Good Sam for several months, I started attending St. James, La Jolla, because it was more traditional, and stayed for over a year.  But St. James didn't reach out either, so I returned to Good Samaritan, determined to make it my church home.  

I have been more than pleased with that decision.
Now I feel a part of the Good Sam community. I have embraced this as my church home and opportunities have been and continue to be present where I feel invited to use some of my spiritual gifts.  I believe in discovering your spiritual gifts.  I've known all my life that hospitality is "me" and that's where I want to be.  

Building community and being part of the Good Samaritan family is so rewarding.


(This is reprinted from "40 Days of Devotions in Lent", 2011.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment