Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Meet Our New Vestry Members: Eddie Gibb

by Eddie Gibb

I am a 4th year Bioengineering/Biotechnology student at UCSD. I have grown up in the Episcopal Church, attending St. Patrick's in Kenwood, CA since birth. I served as an acolyte for ten years, and I was an active part of the youth group. I went on two mission trips with the youth group to Tijuana to build houses through Amor Ministries.

I also helped organize a youth diocesan convention for the Diocese of Northern California. I was also a youth representative at the 2006 General Convention through E3: Educate, Experience, and Empower.

I worked in elder care for three years, which stemmed from a senior service project through my Catholic high school, Cardinal Newman of Santa Rosa.

In 2009, I became a member of the United Campus Ministry at UCSD. The campus ministry has been everything I ever hoped for and more. I have been supported both spiritually and emotionally by the community, and it has facilitated further service work, such as a mission trip to El Salvador in 2010. United Campus Ministry has also presented me with an opportunity to become one of the founding members of the Interfaith Student Council at UCSD.

I would like to become a member of the vestry at Good Samaritan Episcopal Church to help grow the campus ministry at UCSD and integrate it better with with the physical community of Good Samaritan.

It was encouraging to see how the joint efforts of Good Samaritan and the Newman Center Catholic Community at UCSD could come together and produce such an amazing Advent Choral Celebration. I hope to expand the United Campus Ministry's relationship with the Newman Community by working with Kieu Tran through the Interfaith Council.

I would also like to help support other ministries, such as  the Vi Care worship service and organizing mission trips for the youth group. Although my immediate future after graduation is uncertain, I am excited by the possibility of being on the vestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment