Thursday, September 8, 2011

"love. be loved"



by Tom O'Sullivan, Music Director
“love. be loved.”  
Ever since I arrived as your interim music director earlier this year, I have discovered that this is much more than a clever tagline at Good Sam.  I feel blessed to have become part of this community, and from the first day I have felt accepted and supported by everyone here. I cannot fully express how grateful my wife, Jennie, and I are for your prayers, hugs, messages, meals, or---in other words--love.  This is a special community, and I enjoy ministering to and with you every week.  
Today marks the first post-summer choir rehearsal, so I thought this would be a great time to:
  1.  tell you a little about myself, 
  2. explain my take on the role of music and liturgy, and 
  3. encourage you to join the choir :) 

Tom (back) with twin sister
(in front)
I started learning organ when I was seven years old.  I rode my bicycle to the organ/piano teacher a few blocks away from home once a week.  We didn't have a piano at home, but we did have an electric organ on which I practiced. 


When I went to junior high school I was asked to accompany the school choir, so I focused on the piano.  I first started playing at Catholic Mass in 8th grade after I decided to approach the music director and ask if I could contribute (much to my mother's surprise).  This is where I really grew as a musician, having to sight-read music week after week, and discovering a true passion for music.  The church had several very talented musicians, and I found myself trying to learn and practice their styles.  By the time I started high school I was accompanying Masses every week on piano and organ.  
When I left for college (10 years ago this month), I was involved in the campus ministry, and later took a position as an assistant music director at a nearby parish.  I continued learning and growing liturgically and musically and directed choirs both during college and later in graduate school.  


I moved to the San Diego area this past November 2010 and immediately plugged into the UCSD Catholic Community as that is where Jennie sang in the choir.  During the "day" I am a postdoctoral researcher at UC Irvine where I develop medical imaging devices, primarily for people with cancer.   
That’s enough about me.  Let's talk about liturgical music.  


My role as music director isn't to be a great musician, put on a concert, or perform.  It's to help you pray.  Music is an important part of our liturgy because music can touch and reveal parts of the soul.  Music is a combination of prayer, poetry, and dance, evoking emotions that bring us closer to God.  


I believe God likes us to worship with a variety of musical styles that include traditional hymns and chant, contemporary pieces, gospel, jazz, and praise music.  My goal is to worship with a mixture, so that each liturgy contains elements that appeal to every member of our diverse community.  For this reason we no longer have a separate Sunday for "praise band," as I hope there are elements of that style each week.  Also I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable on any particular week if all the music isn’t their "cup of tea".   
Would you like to join me in this endeavor?  


If you love music, there is a place for you in the music ministry – whether the chancel choir, the handbell choir, or as an instrumentalist.  


The chancel choir rehearses Thursday at 7:30pm and meets at 8:45am every Sunday.  "Bell A’Peal" (the handbell choir) rehearses Wednesday at 7:30pm and plays the first Sunday of the month.  


You can find more information about rehearsals and scheduling on Good Sam’s website.  


If you ever had an inkling of desire to participate, that may be God trying to send you a message.  Better listen!  We would love to have you join us.  All musical levels and styles welcome.  If you have any questions about making music, please contact me.  
If the choir's not for you, there's nothing more satisfying to a music director than seeing you participate and making a "joyful noise" every Sunday.  I hope to see you then!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article, great picture of you two at the organ!

    ReplyDelete