Thursday, March 15, 2012

Why Go to Holy Week?

by Nancy Higgins

We have been challenged to identify where we see or feel God at work in our lives, and I feel that presence most closely during Holy Week.
I'll admit that my first time to attend the Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Vigil services came as a result of being in a choir. However, I discovered how easy it was to really understand what Jesus went through, and His sacrifice for me in these 3 days. 
On Maundy Thursday we hear that Jesus washed His disciples feet. What an amazing act of love. I can feel that love when someone else washes my feet. Even if I have my hands washed, the love of one Christian for another comes through. 

Later in the service, when the altar is stripped, the nakedness of the altar is shocking. It make me even more aware that the next day Christ will die for my sins. We follow the Light of Christ to the memorial garden, and then go home to think about what will happen on Friday.
Good Friday is solemn, as those of us who have experienced death of a loved one know. But as Christians, we know that the next night will be a celebration. And that is what Easter VIgil is. We start in the Memorial Garden where we left Christ, but now we know the tomb is empty. Joy abounds.
I invite you to come and share with fellow Christian the love and sacrifice of our Lord. And please join with me on Easter shouting Alleluia Jesus is Alive.

Have you ever felt that you were walking with Jesus through this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment